Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive
|Public Law 102-58, passed in 1992, authorized the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to initiate NASA EPSCoR to strengthen the research capability of jurisdictions that have not in the past participated equably in competitive aerospace research activities. The goal of NASA EPSCoR is to provide seed funding that will enable jurisdictions to develop an academic research enterprise directed toward long-term, self-sustaining, nationally-competitive capabilities in aerospace and aerospace-related research. This capability will, in turn, contribute to the jurisdiction's economic viability and expand the nation's base for aerospace research and technology development. Since its inception, NASA EPSCoR has been closely linked to the NASA Space Grant Program.
Based on the availability of funding, NASA will continue to help jurisdictions achieve these goals through NASA EPSCoR. Funded jurisdictions will be selected through a merit-based, peer-reviewed competition.
The following are the specific objectives of NASA EPSCoR:
Part 1: Research Infrastructure Development (RID)
- In year 1 (2009-10), 7 professors were awarded grants.
- In year 2 (2010-11), 6 professors were awarded grants.
- In year 3 (2011-12), 5 professors were awarded grants, plus 4 additional awards in augmentation funding.
- In year 4 (2013-14), 5 professors were awarded grants.
Dr. Charisse Buising, Interim Director, about possible travel, research, and networking grants.
Part 2: Research Awards
FY2013 NASA Cooperative Agreement Notice (CAN) - released 12 February 2013
Each year of eligibility, Iowa can submit up to two research proposals to NASA for funding.
Next Generation Lithium Sulfur Batteries for Mission Enabling Energy Storage Systems
at Iowa State University, Dr. Steve Martin - Science PI
Agricultural Soil Erosion and Carbon Cycle Observations in Iowa: Gaps Threaten Climate Mitigating Policies at University of Iowa,
Dr. Athanasios Papanicolaou - Science PI
Multifunctional Polymer Matrix Composites at Iowa State University,
Dr. Michael Kessler - Science PI
- FY2013 NASA Cooperative Agreement Notice (CAN) - released 12 February 2013
- FY2012 NASA Cooperative Agreement Notice (CAN)
- FY2011 NASA Cooperative Agreement Notice (CAN)
- FY2010 NASA EPSCoR Awards Announcement
- FY2010 NASA Cooperative Agreement Notice (CAN)
- FY2009 NASA EPSCoR Awards Announcement
Contact Iowa NASA EPSCoR
Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)
ISGC Home Page NASA EPSCoR Home Page
Maintained by: Carmen J. Fuchs, Program Coordinator
Updated: September 6, 2013