Announcement and request for proposals from student groups and organizations:
Deadline: Submissions accepted on an ongoing basis through January 17, 2020
This student-centered opportunity seeks proposals for student hands-on activities (in areas relevant to the mission of NASA) such as research projects, and/or participation in national or regional NASA sponsored competitions. Teams or individual students may apply. The ISGC encourages proposals involving females, members of underrepresented minorities, U.S. military veterans, and persons with disabilities.
- Students must be enrolled at Drake, Iowa State, Iowa or Northern Iowa with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A faculty or staff mentor is required.
- These awards will be awarded on a first come, first awarded basis, until funds are consumed.
Proposals will be accepted by invitation only. Prospective applicants will discuss their ideas with Associate Director Jay Staker (firstname.lastname@example.org) to see if their ideas fall within the scope of this opportunity. The proposer may then be invited to submit a full proposal.
Brief Description of Project: Please include a project description (three-page maximum) with a project summary of 300 words or less. Indicate the desired outcomes, what the funds will be used for, and the benefits that are related to NASA and ISGC. All RFP areas must be included. Use checklist below.
Budget: Initial project budget may be requested up to $5,000. Funding level for projects will be based on need as determined after discussion with Jay Staker with a required demonstration of progress for additional funding possibilities. While non-Federal match is encouraged, but not required, wavied indirects are expected against NASA funds awarded, based on the university government approved rates. Space is provided on the budget form for calculation. Funds must be expended by May 31, 2020. The budget template shown on page two is available in Excel format from https://www.iaspacegrant.org/funding/undergrads/, or by sending an e-mail request to email@example.com.
Unallowable expenses include:
- Indirect charges
- Equipment (defined as >$5,000 per item)
- Foreign travel
- Facility renovations
- Promotional materials (i.e. t-shirts, etc.)
- Non-U.S. citizen reimbursements (i.e. travel, salary, wages)
- Non-U.S. citizens may participate, but cannot receive direct support.
Reporting Requirements: A midterm progress report and a final report are required. The reports outline accomplishments and expenditures. These reports will also include a data sheet that will be provided by the ISGC office for completion. Photos of students and project work will be required to highlight accomplishments. Photo release forms will be required for individuals identifiable in photographs.
- Complete the proposal submission form, from this PDF link, also shown below. Signatures are required for ISU Department Chair and/or fiscal officer, or Drake, UI and UNI institutional contracts and grants, or sponsored programs office. Include any cost share provided on the form line provided.
- Project description – header to include: project title; lead student name, phone and email; mentor name and email; submission date (Microsoft Word document)
- Detailed budget table and justification should be included within the proposal description.
- Use the Excel budget template provided – change red text in template, as appropriate. Add any cost share available in the Match column first three rows. DO NOT change template cell calculations on Total Direct Costs, Indirect Costs, or Total Budget rows. These amounts will self-calculate.
Questions may be directed to Jay Staker, Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download the full proposal information and PDF form here.