Announcement and request for proposals from student groups and organizations:
Deadline: Submissions accepted on an ongoing basis through February 28, 2021.
This Iowa Space Grant Consortium (ISGC) student-centered opportunity seeks proposals for student experiences that promote skills for STEM careers. Proposals are for hands-on activities which align with the research priorities of the NASA Mission Directorates. Funding is for student-led projects allowing for direct hands-on work with technology, hardware, machinery, research, etc. This program will fund regional and national competitions for rocketry, robotics and/or other student run activities.
- Students must be enrolled at ISGC affiliated higher education institutions: DMACC, Drake, Iowa, Iowa State, Loras College, or Northern Iowa with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A faculty or staff mentor is required.
- These grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, until funds all are consumed.
Teams or individual students may apply. These projects must align with one or more of the NASA Mission Directorate research priorities and/or challenges, with explanation of the alignment. Projects will be evaluated based on the number of students involved/impacted, likelihood to increase the diversity of the STEM pool, and internal and external collaborations with NASA. The ISGC encourages proposals involving females, members of underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and U.S. military veterans.
Brief Description of Project:
Please include a project description (three-page maximum) with a project summary of 300 words or less. Indicate the desired outcomes, what the funds will be used for, and the aligned NASA Mission Directorate with benefits that are related to the ISGC mission. All RFP areas must be included. Use checklist below.
Initial project budget may be requested up to $5,000. Funding level for projects will be based on need as determined after discussion with the respective campus coordinator and/or the ISGC administrative team with a required demonstration of progress for additional funding possibilities. While non-Federal match is encouraged, but not required, waived indirect is expected against NASA funds awarded, based on the university government approved rates. Space is provided on the budget form for calculation. Funds must be expended by May 31, 2021. The budget template available here, must be submitted in Excel format with the proposal.
Please note: That which is not allowable from the NASA funding is also not allowable as Match and/or Cost Share.
Unallowable expenses include:
- Indirect charges
- Equipment (defined as >$5,000 per item)
- Foreign travel
- Facility renovations
- Promotional materials (i.e. t-shirts, etc.)
- Non-U.S. citizen reimbursements (i.e. travel, salary, wages)
- Non-U.S. citizens may participate, but cannot receive direct support.
A midterm progress report and a final report are required. The reports outline accomplishments, and expenditures. These reports will also include a data sheet that will be provided by the ISGC office for completion. Photos of students and project work will be required to highlight accomplishments. Photo release forms will be required for individuals identifiable in photographs.
- Complete the proposal submission form, from this PDF link (return page three only). Signatures are required for ISU Department Chair and/or fiscal officer, or DMACC, Drake, Loras College, UI and UNI institutional contracts and grants, or sponsored programs office. Include any cost share provided on the form, where indicated.
- Project description – header to include: project title; lead student name, phone and email; mentor name and email; include submission date (Microsoft Word document)
- Detailed budget table and justification should be included within the proposal description.
- Use the Excel budget template illustrated in the announcement (PDF) – change red text in template, as appropriate. Add any cost share available in the Match column first three rows. DO NOT change template cell calculations on Total Direct Costs, Indirect Costs, or Total Budget rows. These amounts will self-calculate. Include the excel budget form with the submission via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding proposal eligibility or program guidelines, please contact us at (email@example.com).
Please download the full proposal information and PDF form here.