Announcement and request for proposals from student teams, groups, and organizations:
Deadline: Submissions accepted on an ongoing basis through January 14, 2022 or until funds are consumed. Deadline has passed, program information retained as FYI and an example for the next academic year.
This Iowa Space Grant Consortium (ISGC) student-centered opportunity seeks proposals for experiences that promote skills for STEM careers. Proposals are for hands-on activities which align with the research priorities of the NASA Mission Directorates as directed by the NASA Office of STEM. Funding is for undergraduate student-led team projects allowing for direct interaction and usage of technology, hardware, machinery, research, etc. Single student projects will not be accepted. This program will support regional and national competitions for rocketry, robotics and/or other undergraduate team activities. The intent of this program is to assist with expenses such as travel to competitions, supplies and materials for project builds, etc. It is not designed to pay student wages for project participation; therefore, wages are unallowable (see budget form for complete listing of unallowable expenses).
- The project’s lead student must be enrolled as an undergraduate at ISGC affiliated higher education institutions: DMACC, Drake, Iowa, Iowa State, Loras College, or Northern Iowa with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A faculty or staff mentor is required.
- These grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, until funds all are consumed.
- Subsequent year funding requires a new application and is contingent upon receipt of previous year’s final report.
Project must align with one or more of the NASA Mission Directorate research priorities and/or challenges. Alignment with a directorate will be favored in the selection process. Projects will be evaluated based on the number of students involved/impacted, likelihood to increase the diversity of the STEM pool, and internal and external collaborations with NASA. The ISGC encourages proposals involving females, members of underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and U.S. military veterans.
Signature Form – Download: Signature Form. (To be completed with signatures and dates, saved and included in PDF project submission.)
Proposal body – Please include a project summary, technical description of your research project, expected goals and outcomes, and a budget justification* within a 4-5 page limit. Indicate the aligned NASA Mission Directorate with benefits that are related to the ISGC mission. *Please ensure that the budget narrative for items listed directly aligns with the numbers provided in the budget template.
Budget – Total project budget request may not exceed $5,000. While non-Federal match is encouraged, but not required, waived indirect is calculated against NASA funds, based on the university government approved rates. (The budget template will calculate this for you.) Funds must be expended by May 31, 2022. The budget template, must be submitted in Excel format with the proposal. Please note: That which is not allowable from the NASA funding is also not allowable as Match and/or Cost Share. Unallowable expenses are listed on the budget template.
Submission: Proposals must be uploaded as a PDF file with signature form, project summary and description, and budget justification, plus your budget in excel format to: ISGC FY2021 SHO Proposals or (https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/66f56629a1a64873b176f8cb5f543275).
- Proposals must include not only the Mission Directorate alignment, but must also include the rationale for that Directorate’s linkage.
- Complete the proposal submission form from this Smartsheet link. Signatures are required for ISU Department Chair and/or fiscal officer, or DMACC, Drake, Loras College, UI and UNI institutional contracts and grants, or sponsored programs office. Include any cost share provided on the form, where indicated. The signature form link is found on the proposal form, or also located here: ISGC Student Hands-On Signature Form.
- Project description – header to include project title; lead student name, phone, and email; mentor name and email; include submission date. (4-5 page max)
- Detailed budget table and justification should be included within the proposal description. (The detail must align with the template provided.)
- Use the Excel budget template provided online, and illustrated in the announcement, update the highlighted sections and red text in template, as appropriate. Add any cost share, if available in the Match column first three rows. DO NOT change template cell calculations on total direct costs, indirect costs, or total budget rows. These amounts will self-calculate. Include the excel budget form with the submission via this Smartsheet link, or https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/66f56629a1a64873b176f8cb5f543275
A midterm progress report and a final report are required. The reports outline accomplishments, and expenditures. These reports will also include a data sheet that will be provided by the ISGC office for completion upon award. Photos of students and project work will be required to highlight accomplishments. ISGC photo release forms will be required for individuals identifiable in photographs, videos, social media etc.
For questions regarding proposal eligibility or program guidelines, please contact us at (email@example.com).