The ISGC’s Education and Outreach (E&O) program combines our previous informal education and precollege programs into one. E&O serves the informal and formal education affiliates and their audiences. Awards for STEM informal education projects from outreach affiliates that advance the NASA Exploration Systems Development (ESDMD) and/or Space Operations (SOMD) Mission Directorate and ISGC missions are included in E&O. Funded proposals are for development of projects that are aligned with the NASA/ISGC mission and programs, have the potential to become self-sustaining, and demonstrate linkages to the ISGC Strategic Plan.
ISGC Strategic Plan, Education and Outreach Objectives
- To support precollege educators through professional development, pre-service and in-service training to improve education in Iowa that will encourage and inspire students to enter and remain in STEM disciplines; to enhance public awareness, scientific literacy, understanding of reasons for exploration, daily benefits to humanity, and appreciation for sciences and technology based on NASA’s on-going strategic plan objectives.
- Conduct and support precollege professional development activities for STEM educators in hands-on curriculum which will help inspire, educate, and employ the next generation of explorers; to promote a strong STEM educational base in Iowa and make curricular connections with NASA educational materials, opportunities, and expertise; by increasing public awareness of tangible daily benefits to humanity from NASA advancements.
- Conduct and support various engaging and educational activities to promote students’ learning in STEM related areas.
- Build strategic partnerships and linkages between STEM formal and informal education providers and, through hands-on, interactive educational and inspirational activities, engage students, educators, families, the general public an all agency stakeholders to increase Americans’ science and technology literacy, reasons for exploration, and engagement in aeronautics, space, and science.
Education and Outreach (for Affiliate Science Centers and Museums):
– 2022-2023 Request for Proposals – click here for RFP including appendices
– Release date: May 20, 2022
– Deadline: August 29, 2022
Education and Outreach – Professional Development (PD):
– 2022-2023 Partner Schools Program (PD) – In-person NASA Center options returning.
– Please stay tuned and check back for details on pending opportunities for PD.
- NASA Astro Camp®
- Iowa 4-H STEM Programming
- Iowa PBS:
– Ready Jet Go!
– NOVA – on Science Wednesdays
- Science Center of Iowa – Why the Sky?
- Extension – Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
- FLEx – Forward Learning Experience
- State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa
- Iowa Aviation Promotion Group Inc. (Fly Iowa)
NASA Universe of Learning~ K-12 Opportunities
Many opportunities for students K-12 can be found HERE
- Includes exhibits, at-home learning, and different NASA programs to get involved in